Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Terrific Tuesday: There's an App for That

I have spent many hours over the years bookmarking and organizing collections of websites that offer good sources or information, rich multimedia experiences or enjoyable practice and simulation activities online. My new cataloguing frenzy has more to do with Web 2.0-friendly apps and social networking communities. Recently, I began playing with Anatronica, a 3-D interactive anatomy model that harkens me back to days of investigating the Visible Man model in my attic (image courtesy of Amazon.com):


I am currently using the free version in Chrome app form, but there is also a version for Mac and Windows OS, Android, iPad 2 and an online version:



 The pro version offers much more, and may be worth a purchase if you are a STEM teacher or developing an extensive anatomy unit. Unlike the plastic man above, I can get great 360° views of the skeletal system (the main attraction of the free version), without much trouble. Heck, you could barely touch the brittle form (a hand-me-down from many sibs) by the time I got to use it without it falling apart. This model gives students good information along with the well-rendered graphics, and is easy to use independently, or as a whole-class lesson tool on the white board.

No comments:

Post a Comment