Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Wacky Wednesday: Tweet, Tweet! #seriously


My husband will tell you that I am not someone who "got" Twitter right away. I found Facebook's constant invites by "friends" to farm or fish or whatever very annoying. Please, I do not need any more distractions! Does anyone? Twitter seemed like "Facebook, only shorter", and I could get behind that -- I just didn't want to go the whole "@someone, I ate #breakfast and it was #fun." route. Why would I want to continually tweet my whereabouts and happenings? Where is the return on my time and (heh) talent?

My initial misgivings quickly melted when I gave it some thought. Social networking provides great parent-teacher-student connectivity opportunities and is much quicker and efficient than a daily website update. Here are some Twitter-driven suggestions to get yourself up and running (if you are not already hash-tagging everything in sight):

  • Begin slowly, with an account for personal use (@yourname). Watch some how-to videos on tweeting, adding tags and how to add followers. 

  • Type in some #education-type searches in Twitter's search engine, and begin to follow your favorite bloggers, teachers, publishers, education groups and government agencies on education. The content to which they will link you will be worth the effort alone.

  • Spruce up your profile with a uniform, but fun for you, look (see my Fun Friday post on Themeleon). This is more than a "time waster" activity. A smart-looking Web presence is a good thing to have when dealing in professional circles.

  • When you feel comfortable with Twitter, register a Twitter feed handle for your classroom or organization. Be sure that you are very careful in how you use this feed, as this is the "face" that you put on your classroom, teaching ideas and professional contacts. Avoid discussing topics that are not school- or child-appropriate in this feed.

  • Remember that Web presence makeover you did for your personal Twitter feed? Do the same for your classroom feed, and begin to "make your brand" by using school district colors, images (to which you have the rights) that tell of your content area or education interests or other style choices that resonate with what you are trying to say about yourself and your classroom/organization.


No comments:

Post a Comment